Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

A Love Affair

I'm not sure exactly when it started...

...my love affair with the South.

Perhaps with my first trip to Charleston at the impressionable age of 15?  Or after our 5-year wedding anniversary trip to Savannah in my late 20s?

I can't exactly recall.

I just know that since my adolescence I've been smitten with all things "Southern".  Private courtyards, front porches, sweet tea, sandy beaches, Spanish moss, magnolia trees, coastal living...you get the point.

It really shouldn't be this way...after all, I'm a third generation Midwesterner with roots running deep into the Great Lakes and Great Plains.  Many summers were spent at my grandparents' lake-front cottage in Michigan.  I grew up celebrating the vibrant four seasons in Missouri.

But, while I do love the Midwestern work ethic and down-to-earth sensibilities that are central to the farming communities of the Heartland, I long for the down-home hospitality and genteel respectability that Southerners are known and appreciated for.

So, before I actually get to live in the South, I must live vicariously through the pages of Southern Lady, Southern Living, and of course, Cooking with Paula Deen magazines. The glossy photos are the perfect media for creating my inspiration boards and notebooks...the tools I use to help me visualize a dream come true.

What steps do you take to make your dreams come true?

"The future belongs to those who believe in their dreams."  
-Eleanor Roosevelt

No comments:

Post a Comment