Pages

Saturday, June 11, 2011

Diana: A Celebration

“Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your heart”

-Eleanor Roosevelt


Do you have a true friend like that?

I do.

Friends since third grade, my girlfriend and I have celebrated many of life's celebrations together...including high school/college graduations, weddings, and births.  We've also weathered several storms...the death of her mother from breast cancer while we were still in our 20s...miscarriages and infertility.

And although there are nearly 300 miles between us, it feels like only 3!  We pick up the phone often, send note cards, email. 

We tend our garden of friendship.

When we were 11 years old, a lady-in-waiting married a prince.  It was a joyous occasion and both of our mothers insisted that we get up early to watch this historical event.

I remember being in awe of Princess Diana's wedding gown...that 25-foot train!  And all the attendants.  And the church.  I thought she was so beautiful.

As we know, the story did not end, "happily ever after", but many of Diana's friends and family are working to keep the "people's princess" memory alive and well.

Earlier this week, my girlfriend came to Kansas City for a visit.  We usually shop, eat, giggle, etc.  And while we did all the same this week, our main priority was attending this attraction...


Banner outside of Kansas City's Union Station
The team of artists designing this tribute did an incredible job.  Inspirational quotes, home videos of Diana, and different rooms dedicated to her childhood, wedding day, charity work, sense of style, and death made for a memorable experience. 

My own princess was smitten with it all...even though she knew not who Diana was. 

And since we were fortunate enough to have the tribute in Kansas City at the same time as the wedding of Prince William (back in April), I made sure my own girl woke up in time to see a "commoner" marry a prince. 

Let's hope their "happily ever after" comes true!

My daughter and I at the exhibit.



My best friend, Shannon, and me.

Unfortunately, photography was not allowed inside the exhibit, so no photos of the beautiful gowns or childhood memorabilia.  Trust me when I saw it was fantastic and well worth the price of admission.

Wishing you all a Happy Saturday!

P.S.  A truthful moment here...I hate sharing pictures of myself because I struggle with my weight.  Recently, though, I made a decision to begin to love myself right where I am at in life, and allow myself to be photographed more often.  My biggest fear is that when I leave this earth behind, my children will have no photographs with their mother.  I have decided to change that!

1 comment:

  1. Hi there,
    You are adorable...as is your daughter. I don't care for photos of me either but it really is a treasure to have photos after one is gone. I have some of me and my mother, my favorite aunt and my grandmother. LOVE them!

    I'm glad that you and your friend had a great visit! It's wonderful to have friendships like that isn't it?

    Hope your weekend is wonderful! It's hotter than Hades here in Texas ~ not fun at all.

    xo
    Pat

    ReplyDelete